Ms. Franks has comprehensive experience in estate planning and business planning, litigation involving senior placement and caring, and estate and trust disputes. Her motto is “proper planning is always less costly than litigation”. It is Miranda’s philosophy that planning for the future, and continually being aware of the status of your estate and business assets are the best ways to avoid litigation and unintended distributions of wealth. She believes that estate planning involves working with several professionals in their area of expertise, such as an attorney, financial/investment advisor, accountant, and life insurance representative, to ensure that all areas of concern are handled properly.
Miranda received her Bachelor of Arts Degree in English from the University of California, Santa Barbara (1989), and her law degree from Thomas Jefferson Law School (1993). She has received training as a mediator, and when applicable seeks to provide solutions to contested matters through alternate dispute resolution methods. She is actively involved in educational programs within the San Diego legal community, and is regularly invited to speak at seminars on the subject of estate planning and probate. Miranda teaches Probate, Wills & Trusts for the highly regarded, ABA approved Cuyamaca College Paralegal Program.
Areas of Practice
Extensive estate planning including drafting wills, revocable living trusts, irrevocable special needs trusts, life insurance trusts, charitable trusts, family limited partnerships, gifts to minors, powers of attorney for asset management and health care directives.
All probate matters including estate administration, will contests, trust disputes, beneficiary litigation, irrevocable trust modification and termination, conservatorships, and guardianships matters.
Business planning including incorporation of business under proper entity, partnership agreements, limited liability companies, buy/sell agreements, contracts, counsel on working with government agencies, and solving contractual disputes.
Activities and Affiliations
- Judge Pro Tem, San Diego Superior Court, Probate Division.
- Adjunct Professor at Cuyamaca College, Paralegal Program: Wills and Trusts.
- Foothills Bar Association: President of Board of Directors 2006-2007.
- Foothills Bar Association: Probate & Estate Planning Section Co-Chair 2007-2009.
- Lawyers Club of San Diego: Board Member 2005-2007; Board Member 1997-1999; Chair of Student Relations Committee 1994-1996.
- East County Lawyers Club President 1997-1999; Board Member 1997-2007.
- Thomas Jefferson School of Law Alumni Association: Board Member 2010.
- San Diego County Bar Association: Probate & Estate Planning Section.
- Spring Valley Chamber of Commerce: President of Board of Directors 2005-2007
- San Diego Chamber of Commerce Member
- Young Actor’s Theatre: President Board of Directors 2011-2013.
- Volunteers In Parole: 1995 Outstanding Match Award recipient.
- Pro Bono Distinguished Service Award recipient 1996.
- Wiley W. Manuel Award for Pro Bono Legal Services Award recipient 1994, 1995 and 1996.
- San Diego Volunteer Lawyer: Guardianship/Child Custody/Family Law 1993-2005.
- National Women’s Political Caucus: Vice President of Appointments 1994-1998.
- University of California, Santa Barbara Alumni Association Member.
- Better Business Bureau—A+ Rated.
- AARP preferred legal services provider.
- Avvo Superb rated.